• HealthForceOntario – HFO provides help with the licensure process, and alternative career counselling.
• Welcome Centre Immigration Services – They offer settlement and immigration services, English language classes, employment support services, and more.
• Career Options e-Resource – This exploratory online resource contains modules and virtual cases that allow IEHPs to explore alternative career options outside of the regulated health profession in which they were originally trained.
• CanMEDS Framework – An important guide for all physicians to help them get to grips with their multiple role as medical expert, communicator, collaborator, leader, health advocate, scholar, and professional.
• Introduction to Clinical Cultural Competence – A resource produced by the Hospital for Sick Children. It provides a different perspective from which to think about cultural issues.
• HHS IEN/ESL Nurse Integration Project – The Hamilton Health Sciences’ Internationally Educated Nurses/English as a Second Language Nurse Integration Project is renowned for preparing and placing IENs. Funded by:
• CARE Centre for Internationally Educated Nurses – They offer exam preparation and review, language and communication for nurses, observational job shadowing, professional development, and a workplace transition program, and more.
• Settlement Services: Welcome to Ontario – Bridging Programs (There are lots of other resources on this site as well.)
• The Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials – This is a good place to start when looking at how your credentials can be assessed.
• Settlement Services: Welcome to Ontario – Workplace Culture – A guide to different aspects of workplace culture including social media presence, etiquette, and networking.
• SkillsConnect: Workplace Culture – A list of cultural tips for working with Canadians.
• Workplace Integration: A Desk Reference for Newcomer to Canada – A detailed guide to close communication, cultural and language gaps in the professional workplace.
In the design of this course we hoped to achieve the following objectives:
- Provide an understanding of various aspects of Canadian workplace culture from the perspective of employers, managers, and fellow IEHPs
- Give you an opportunity to benefit from the experience and advice of employers, managers and fellow IEHPs regarding:
- Planning your career path
- Finding employment
- Understanding and successfully integrating into the Canadian healthcare system
- Assist you in recognizing the variety of career options available to you within the Ontario healthcare sector based on the personal stories of IEHPs
You’ve completed the course!
We hope that you found it helpful and thought-provoking.
The Leslie Dan Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Toronto is conducting an exit survey for this course to better understand how participants are benefitting from the Practice Readiness E-learning Program (PReP). Your participation in the survey is important and will help us identify areas where the PReP program is helping people the most and any areas that can be improved.
All of the information collected from the survey participants will be summarized and no names will be reported on, so please let us know how you really feel. Participation in the survey is completely voluntary, but we hope that you see the benefit of participating.
We need and value your feedback.